Website visitors tired of receiving stale information are relishing in Google's recent 'freshness update'.
For major search engines, it's all about offering users the most relevant and fresh information available. That is why we have come up with five tips to boost a company's online marketing campaign, making it easier to obtain and maintain a reasonable rank on Google's search results pages.
Just because a business updates or makes corrections to its web pages on a regular basis, doesn't automatically mean that its website's freshness value will increase. In fact, Google determines a website's freshness the first time it crawls its pages.
The goal of the recent freshness update was to deliver the most recent or current information to users when they enter a query into the Google search engine. It does this, in part, by searching for pages that are time stamped, indicating when the information or the webpage was created.
Time-stamping is crucial for businesses that want top spots in Google's search results, because this factor alone underlines the importance of presenting and maintaining up-to-date information on websites.
To get the most from Google's freshness update, business owners should consider incorporating the following five strategies to their online marketing plan:
1. Publish press releases consistently. Businesses should use press releases to keep visitors up-to-date on the latest news about their company and their industry. Since press releases are time-sensitive, Google will respond accordingly, but business owners should publish new press releases weekly to maintain a good rank.
2. Create a blog. Using a blog to publish interesting topics related to a business's industry is a great way to keep that business relevant in the eyes of the search engines. The blog should be updated regularly and contain link bait tied to the company's website.
3. Utilize social media. It is important for businesses to utilize Facebook, Google+ and Twitter for marketing. The best part is that followers and customers can help a business's 'freshness' campaign by adding comments or content and promoting the site through social sharing.
4. Find your place on Google News. If a business's press releases are published correctly, they will appear on Google News and this can have a huge impact on a website's ranking in Google.
5. Contact a trusted website marketing firm. Most SEO and online marketing firms will offer website audits free of charge and can be hired to help a company ensure that social media channels, word-of-mouth marketing, reputation and consumer sentiment monitoring and SEO are being properly managed and maintained.
As you implement these strategies to improve your website's freshness, you should also make sure that you are using time-stamps correctly.
Google recommends the following format: YYYY-MM-DD.
Businesses should also update their website's XML sitemaps every time they publish new information.
Copyright 2012 dzine it, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.